Grilled Pineapple topped with Caramel Sauce
It’s Hot in the Kitchen! If you’re like me, you’ve been grilling everything in sight during these HOT summer nights. Here’s an idea for a healthy summer dessert you can prepare right on the grill. – Grilled Pineapple, topped with Homemade Caramel Sauce. This is super easy to make and you will get a lot of ooh-la-las with this dessert!!
We made the Caramel Sauce with Orange Slices at my March Quick One-Dish Meals Cooking Class. You can literally drizzle this caramel sauce on anything for a sweet surprise!
Grilled Pineapple with Caramel Sauce
1 pineapple, fresh
1 Tbs dark rum
1 Tbs lime juice
2 Tbs honey
1. While grill is heating up, Combine rum, lime juice and honey in a bowl.
2. DO NOT PEEL PINEAPPLE. Cut off the top green part of the pineapple and quarter the pineapple lengthwise. Cut out the middle core of the pineapple, by slicing off about 1/2 inch of the middle spine lengthwise.
3. Brush pineapple with rum mixture and place yellow side down on the grill. Rotate pineapple quarters to cook or char each side of the yellow pineapple meat. Depending on how hot your grill is, this may take awhile or not.
4. Remove pineapple quarters from the grill to a platter. Using a serrated knife, cut the pineapple meat from the skin, but leave the skin underneath to create a boat. Then cut pineapple in wedges in your boat. Place quarters on individual plates and top with caramel sauce. See following recipe.
Easy Caramel Sauce
Once you learn the technique, this is an easy last minute dessert you can make in a Flash. I usually have the ingredients on hand myself. You can serve it with anything you have on hand – fruit, cookies, cake. The important part is to combine your sugar and water in a pot on low heat and DO NOT STIR. Once the sugar is dissolved, increase heat to medium and watch the process of caramelizing the sugar carefully, so you get it off the heat at the precise moment it gets to that deep golden color. (To see pictures of the caramelization process, click here.) Then all at once add in your cream and stir. It’s like magic!
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs water
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1. In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium heat and cook until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir or the mixture. Swirl the pan occasionally to mix the ingredients. Continue to cook over medium heat until the sugar begins to caramelize and the syrup turns brown in color.
2. Remove pan from the heat and pour in the cream all at once while whisking to incorporate the ingredients. Set aside the pan and let cool. The syrup will thicken as it cools.