Prep 10 mins Wait 35 mins Cook 10 mins Eat 55 mins
In preparation for our October 11, 2012 Pizza class, I’m thinking back to our August Garden to Table Cooking Class, when we made the most amazing pizza on the grill. We used fresh summer vegetables, garden ripe tomatoes, arugula and fresh burrata cheese. I found that this was a fresh new way to make pizza and not mess up your oven on top of it.
The grilled pizza is a miracle! We’re talking thin crust, crisp chewy crust, sweet juicy garden ripe tomatoes bursting with flavor, the unctious smoke from the roasted peppers, eggplant and zucchini and topped with meltingly delicious and smooth burrata cheese. Simply heaven! Do I have you hooked yet? Then add the flavors from our fresh herbs – fresh basil pesto, the surprise of the intense green fennel seeds that grow wild in my garden. I can’t get enough. When is my next meal?
I bought my Pampered Chef Pizza Grill pan a few months ago. What took me so long to use it? The answer is probably that I needed to wait for the summer garden ripe vegetables. But…as I live in Southern California, I will be using this grill pan all year long.
Here’s the tips I learned while testing this recipe several times.
1. Use the best ingredients available that are in season. 2. Spray or brush your pan liberally with olive oil – not Pam cooking spray, which will gum it up. 3. Make home made pizza dough with my one-minute pizza dough recipe.
4. Have the pizza dough come up on the edges. 5. Brush olive oil and pesto on top of the dough.
6. Add toppings sparingly and make sure they don’t spread below the crust.
7. Join our Pizza Returns Cooking Class on Thursday, October 11, 2012.
Grilled Veggie Pizza with Burrata and Arugula
Preparation Time: 45 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbs olive oil (divided)
- 1 warm water about 115°F
- 1 each zucchini, eggplant, red pepper or various summer veggies (optional)
- 1 Tbs pesto
- 4 oz. burrata cheese or fresh mozzarella
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cup arugula leaves
1. Place flour, salt, yeast, sugar and 1 Tbs. olive oil in food processor. Add 1/2 cup warm water to moisten the yeast. Process mixture and drizzle more warm water through the feed tube until the mixture forms a ball. Let process to knead the dough. Place dough into oiled bowl. cover with plastic wrap and keep in a warm place to rise for at least 30 minutes
2. While dough is rising, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Slice zucchini, eggplant if using. Keep red pepper whole and coat in 1 T olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Grill veggies just until grill marks appear. Put aside in bowl. Put red pepper in plastic bag and close to steam for 10+ minutes. Once steamed, remove seeds & core and slice in strips. Cut other veggies into strips.
3. Brush light coating of olive oil on grill pan. Roll out dough on counter in a pool of flour. Lift pie onto grill pan and shape into place. Place toppings on pizza. First 1 Tbs olive oil, then pesto, then veggies & tomatoes, then burrata cheese. Place on medium-high grill and close lid. Turn heat down if necessary, so there is no flame below. Check after 5 minutes and rotate pan for even grilling. Pizza is done when crust is golden brown underneath and toppings look bubbly. Use hot pads to remove pizza pan from grill. Let pizza stand for 5 minutes. Remove from grill pan. Spread arugula leaves over the pizza, cut and serve.
Servings: 4 Calories per Serving: 387
You might also like: