Prep 20 mins Cook 30 mins Eat 50 mins
With Halloween less than a week away, how about making some Caramelized Apple & Pumpkin Muffins. Perfect for a Halloween party, perfect to make with the kids…perfect for lunch boxes or just eating them out of the oven on a cozy weekend morning.
I brought these goodies to the Food Bloggers of Los Angeles Pumpkin Potluck meeting. It tickled me that you can have 20 people bring a dish made with pumpkin and not end up with 20 pumpkin pies! In fact there was not one pumpkin pie. These food bloggers take their recipes seriously and we ended up with recipes as varied as two completely different Pumpkin Soups to Pumpkin-Potato Pancakes to Pumpkin Cheesecake and a Salad dressed with a Pumpkin Vinaigrette. All were, need I say, amazing! Look below and click on the frog to link to these wonderful recipes that you’ll want to make yourself.
In this recipe I combined two of my favorite autumn dessert ingredients – caramelized apples and pumpkin. My inspiration for the Caramelized Apple and Pumpkin muffins came to me from tweaking a Libby’s Pumpkin recipe I’ve been making for years. I had on hand some caramelized apples and raisins made for an Apple Strudel Pizza. So I combined the pumpkin with the Apple Strudel mix and ended up with these goodies.
You can use Libby’s Solid Pack Pumpkin from the can or if you are feeling ambitious and want to actually eat the pumpkin sitting on your porch or in your window. Here’s how to do it:
Cut your pumpkin in half with a hefty sharp knife. Remove the seeds and the stem. Place each half open side down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 40 minutes at 350°. The timing will depend on the size of your pumpkin. It will be done when you can pierce a fork into the flesh and it is soft. Then take it out of the oven. Turn over the pumpkin halves and let cool until you can touch it. Then simply scoop out the flesh from the pumpkin shell and discard the skin. Or you can slice the flesh from the skin with a knife. Mash the pumpkin and save in a freezer container or use it right away in your recipe.
Caramelized Apple and Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 Tbs brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Libby’s canned pumpkin or fresh (see headnotes)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
1. Caramelize the apples. Place the butter and apples in a skillet and saute over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the apples are covered in the melted butter. Add the brown sugar and optional raisins. Continue to saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the apples are tender, but still hold their shap,. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. While apples are caramelizing, mix muffin ingredients. Place dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices.)
3. Place eggs in medium bowl and whisk until frothy. Add pumpkin, oil and mix all until mixture is smooth.
4. Add pumpkin mix to dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not overstir. Add caramelized apples and give a quick stir.
5. Use an ice cream scoop to spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake in preheated 350° oven for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
Servings: 20, Calories per serving: 202
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
Oven Temperature: 350°F