I could eat this salad every day. It is sweet and delicious. I prepared this festive Red and Green salad for several holiday parties, but now I’m still eating it alongside my winter soups. I like the marriage of the red radicchio and romaine as a base to add some good things from the season.
Salad: Prep 20 mins Eat 20 mins
Pecans: Prep 5 mins Cook 45 mins Eat 50 mins
The red radicchio adds a spicy, bitter contrast to the mild romaine lettuce for nice balance. Look for a small fresh head of radicchio and chop it into small 1/2″ pieces. Melissa’s sent me the beauties pictured above.
Dried Cranberries – you can find these sweetened sour gems now in every grocery store. They’ve become as common as raisins and even bear the cute brand name, Craisins.
Queso Fresca – a soft mild cheese found in every Southern California supermarket and in Latin markets. It’s a fresh cheese sold in a block and crumbles easily. You could also use crumbled feta cheese.
Candied Pecans – you could easily add toasted nuts to this salad, but when it’s so easy to make up a batch of these addicting sweetened pecans, why not? Make a lot of these, as they will disappear quickly. (Warning: Hide enough for your salad in the pantry).
Mix in a simple Viniaigrette – olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. You can also dribble in a little honey to add extra sweetness.
This dish is the ultimate Fresh Food in a Flash…and in my book, there is nothing wrong with sweetening things up to consume your 5-a-Day and start out a healthy new year.
Red and Green Salad
- 4 cups radicchio
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup queso fresca, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Candied Pecans (see separate recipe)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Shred both the radicchio and romaine to bite size 1/2″ to 1″ pieces, rinse and spin to dry the leaves.
2. Make vinaigrette. Combine olive oil, vinegar, dijon, honey, salt and pepper into a shaker or bowl. Mix to combine.
3. In large bowl, combine, radicchio, romaine, 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup queso fresca. Mix with enough vinaigrette just to wet the leaves. Divide salad onto eight plates. Top with remaining cranberries, queso fresca and finally the candied pecans. Serve immediately.
Servings: 8 255 Calories per serving
- 1 pound pecans
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbs water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. In medium bowl, beat egg white in water until frothy. Stir in pecans until coated.
2. In separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add sugar mixture to pecans and stir to coat.
3. Butter a 15 x 10 baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until the pecans are crisp and golden, stirring every 15 minutes
4. Let cool before storing.
Servings: 16 221 calories per serving
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes