Prep 7 mins Bake 23 mins Eat 30 mins
Popovers are a quick and easy addition to a special meal like your Easter dinner. Often forgotten about, I am pleased when I remember to add them to a menu. These Scallion and Cheddar Popovers will take this extra treat to a whole new level.
What’s great about making popovers is you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator – eggs, milk, flour and salt form the base.
Here we’ve added shredded cheddar cheese and scallions for extra flavor. Extra yummy too! If you are reading this at home, I am sure, you are ready to go into the kitchen and start a batch right now. It will take you 5 minutes to mix it up, a couple minutes to scoop into a well-oiled muffin or popover tin and then prepare the rest of your meal until they are baked.
When making Scallion and Cheddar Popovers to go with a special meal like Easter. Mix it up. Portion it into the tin and when you take your roast out of the oven, crank the oven up to 450°. Don’t be tempted to put the popovers in until your oven dings to let you know it has preheated to 450°. As soon as it does, place the popovers on the middle racks carefully. Bake for exactly 15 minutes and then turn the heat down to 350° for the remaining time. In the meantime you will be getting the rest of the meal ready along with getting your guests settled.
When your popovers are puffed and golden brown, remove them from the oven and remove them from the tin, piercing them with a knife as you remove them. This releases the steam so they do not deflate.
Place them in a nice basket or on a platter and present to your guests, beautiful, golden, delicious and hot from the oven!
Scallion and Cheddar Popovers
Popovers are an old fashioned bread, referred to also as a pudding, as in Yorkshire pudding. To make Yorkshire pudding, you would use the fat from a beef roast to coat the muffin tin and serve with the beef roast. I don’t have a dedicated popover pan, which would make a thin tall popover. Be sure to coat the muffin tin well with oil or use a good quality non-stick muffin tin or they will be difficult to release from the pan.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 scallions, sliced and chopped fine
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Use a non-stick muffin or popover pan and coat or spray with olive oil
2. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Sprinkle salt over mixture. Add flour and stir just until combined. Fold in cheese and scallions
3. Fill prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 8-10 minutes, until browned and puffed.
4. Remove popovers from oven and immediately remove from pan. Pierce sides with a knife to release steam. Serve warm.
Servings: 10 131 calories per serving
Scallion and Cheddar Popovers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions sliced and chopped fine
- Preheat oven to 450°. Use a non-stick muffin or popover pan and coat or spray with olive oil
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Sprinkle salt over mixture. Add flour and stir just until combined. Fold in cheese and scallions
- Fill prepared muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 8-10 minutes, until browned and puffed.
- Remove popovers from oven and immediately remove from pan. Pierce sides with a knife to release steam. Serve warm.
- ENJOY THIS RECIPE FROM FRESHFOODINAFLASH.COM
Oven Temperature: 450°F