Prep 5 mins Cook 20 mins Eat 25 mins
Want a home cooked meal with lots of flavor on the table in 25 minutes? Who doesn’t? This Tuscan Chicken with Artichoke Hearts and Olives was a favorite dish at our March Weekday Dinners Cooking Class and it’s only 328 calories per serving. It’s been in my standard repertoire for over 20 years.
I learned to make this Tuscan Chicken with Artichoke Hearts and Olives at one of my very first cooking classes at the Culver City Adult School. Our teacher, Jeanine Johnson, studied cooking in Tuscany. She shared this with us from her experience there. I’ve made this dish for dinner parties and friends over the years and it makes great leftovers.
While you can make it in 25 minutes, it’s even better if you make it the day before and leave overnight in the refrigerator, as the meat becomes very tender. I always hope there are leftovers. So make extra!
Braising is the method used in cooking this dish, which means browning the meat first in the marinade from the artichoke heart jar, then adding a liquid…wine, lemon juice and a little olive brine to simmer the chicken in. Braising always results in more tender meat and is often used with cheap cuts of meat. Making a day ahead results in fall apart tender meat. If you make the dish the night before, which is a great idea for an easy party meal, add the artichokes, olives and parsley the next day. I like to use the brine from the olive jar to enhance the flavor. This will add salt to the dish, so adjust to your taste.
Tuscan Chicken with Artichoke Hearts and Olives
- 2 cups Rice made in Microwave Oven. See separate recipe.
- 8 chicken thighs (skinless, boneless if you prefer)
- 14 oz. marinated artichoke hearts, slice to 1/2″ wide 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brine from the olive jar (less or more to your taste)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, oregano or basil
1. Prepare Steamed Rice made in Microwave Oven. This will take 15 minutes.
2. While rice is steaming, place chicken breasts in a large brazier, skillet or Dutch oven. Drain off the artichoke marinade and pour over the chicken. Let cook until meat begins to brown or cook. Then add garlic, lemon juice and wine and the brine and heat on medium heat. Cover. Cook chicken 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate if making a day ahead.
3. Add artichoke hearts and olives. Warm through and cook until chicken is done.
4. To serve, place a mound of rice in a bowl to one side. Place a chicken thigh in the bowl next to it and serve the pan juices with artichokes and olives over the chicken. Garnish with the parsley or other herbs.
Servings: 8 328 calories per serving