Prep 30 mins Bake 40 mins Chill 3:00 Eat 4:10
A trip to visit family is always an adventure. Last week we flew to Minneapolis to celebrate my mother’s birthday on 9-11. The security at the airport was quite impressive. It seemed like there was one TSA person for every passenger passing through the newfangled X-ray machines. Ever since that horrible morning we experienced ten years ago, my mother’s birthday has been eclipsed by other events that all of us are passionate about. But for her day this year, we turned off the never ending stream of media reports and had some fun.
My niece has become the baker in the family and made Grandma’s favorite cake from the Olive Garden, the Lemon Cream Cake. She found the recipe in Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Restaurant Recipes #2. I helped her frost the cake with this yummy and simple frosting. The secret to success with this cake is chilling everything along the way and then before serving. It was so beautiful, I snapped this picture with my iphone. Every crumb was eaten, but for one slice mother snuck away for her secret stash. I could definitely have eaten more! Here’s the secret recipe from Todd Wilbur. I would probably make the cake from my pantry ingredients and skip the cake mix. I would probably also create two cake layers, so you wouldn’t have to slice through the one, but here it is:
- 1 18.25 oz. Betty Crocker white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
Lemon Cream Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Vanilla Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Make white cake following directions on the box. Trace a 10″ cake pan or springform pan on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper and cut. Grease cake pan and place paper in bottom of pan. Pour batter into pan and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Allow cake to cool and refrigerate one hour.
2. Make lemon cream filling. Mix together cream cheese and powdered sugar in medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in lemon juice.
3. Whip cream in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream carefully until blended. Refrigerate one hour.
4. Make crumb topping. Combine flour and powdered sugar in medium bowl. Add butter by cutting with two knives. Add in vanilla. Mixture will be crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
5. Remove cake from the pan and peel off the paper. Place on cake plate. Carefully slice cake through the middle horizontally, so you have two layers and set aside top half. Spread all but 1 cup of the lemon cream mixture onto the bottom half of the cake. Carefully replace the top half of the cake.
6. Spread remaining 1 cup of cream filling over the top of the cake and onto the sides. Sprinkle crumb topping on top of cake and down the sides. Chill cake for 3 hours. Makes 12 servings.